Thursday, December 30, 2010

I run because walking is pedestrian.

All apologies to those who are big fans of walking (or walk because they can't do anything else). The truth is....it's not 'walking' that's the issue, it's 'me'. I'm a pretty high strung, impatient guy. That admission alone should tell you why I am not a big fan of walking.

It's been so long since I've done any extensive walking that I couldn't even tell you how long it would take me to walk a mile. I'm confident I can knock out a mile comfortably in about 6 1/2 minutes if I am running. Walking the same distance would likely take me twice as long, if not longer.

Literally, walking feels like an unnatural act to me I do it so infrequently. On those rare occasions when I find myself walking, it takes an inordinate amount of self-control to not segue into my comfortable, conversational pace. When I do actually walk, it's really more like power walking (sans the funky arm movement).

I become frustrated on crowded sidewalks when people in front of me are CLEARLY dawdling and just meandering. When I encounter three or four people astride in front of me exhibiting said behavior and not leaving me any room to pass, I nearly have a seizure.

Look at the term 'pedestrian'. The noun is defined as 'a person who goes or travels on foot; walker.' The adjective is defined a few different ways-1)going or performed on foot; walking., 2)of or pertaining to walking. But, there's one other way the adjective is defined that I find most telling- 3)lacking in vitality, imagination, distinction, etc.; commonplace; prosaic or dull: a pedestrian commencement speech.

Not surprisingly, I think the term 'pedestrian' is a pretty apt way to describe the act of walking. It's lacking in vitality, it's dull, and commonplace. I completely understand that for many, walking is the best they can do and I completely support this.

I commend the countless folks who get out and walk every single day. It's great that you're doing it and there's unquestionably plenty of value in continuing to do so. Truly, my feelings towards the act of walking are just that...'my feelings'.

I know one day running will leave me behind and I may very well be reduced to simply walking. It's likely my perspective and attitude will change at this juncture and I will be thankful that I can do the act that I currently characterize as 'pedestrian'.

But, in the interim, I run because I just can't handle walking.

1 comment:

Running On Juice said...

Matt...face facts...you need a dog ;-)

I have only had one a week and have never walked so much in a week!!

I think my greyhound is going to be great for 'cross training'...until he is ready to run!