Friday, August 01, 2014

I run because moderation isn't always my strong suit..

I would be lying to you if I said I was the kind of runner who always leads by example.

I don't warmup as often as I should. I don't foam roll as often as I should. I don't get massages as often as I should.

Cross training? It rarely happens. I also like cheeseburgers. Perhaps worst of all, I like to knock back some cocktails every now and then.

Well, I like them more than every now and then. If I am exercising no self control, I can easily imbibe 2-3 a night. Fortunately, I do exercise self control....most of the time.

A stiff maker's and coke following a tough run serves to augment an already pleasant runner's high. Once the first one is emptied, the second one is hard to resist.

It is a bit of a slippery slope...particularly if I am in good company. As far as transgressions go, there are worse things I could do and there are worse things I have done.

The thing is...there are experiences I have had while drinking a cocktail that I will never forget. Just as there are experiences I have had while running that I will never forget. Perhaps combining the two might make for a particularly memorable experience.

I could abstain entirely and maybe I should. But, I am generally a believer in moderation despite my sometimes immoderate ways.

Pretty much anything you do to an excess is going to come back to haunt you. Running is fantastic, but if you too much of it, you will pay the price.

But, how can you really know your limits if you always toe the line? Periodically, you have to exercise immoderation. Amazing things can happen sometimes.

Sometimes you just wake up with a raging hangover. That's where running comes in handy.

Forget all the ridiculous, home spun hangover cures you've heard over the years. Running is the real deal. It is the only thing I know of that will make you feel vaguely human after a night of immoderate behavior.

I run because moderation isn't always my strong suit..


No comments: