Sunday, August 24, 2014

I run because the wall doesn't last forever..

Sometimes you run into a wall. Big or small, it's always rough. But, we all have to hit them every once in awhile. So, you're not alone.

I found myself staring down such a wall a year or so ago. This was not a wall I could run through. I had to crash into it, fall down, get back up, and find another way.

Life changed in some pretty significant and heartrending ways. I found myself in a dark place (which is where you go when you hit the wall sometimes). I did my best to push forward, but I was going through the motions. I was me, but a pale, paper-thin facsimile of me.

I don't know how many people noticed, but I noticed. I was slogging my way through everything. I was doing the absolute bare minimum required in all facets of life. I simply could not muster more than this.

It felt as if everything was falling apart. Nothing seemed to be working. Nothing seemed to be clicking.

I felt as if I was in the last few miles of a marathon all the time. I was just fighting like hell to stay vaguely upright.

Imagine running into the wall again, and again, and again. If Sisyphus were a runner, this would be his modus operandi.

When you find yourself running into a wall, it feels like time slows to a crawl. Your sense of time and space gets distorted. The wall is so omnipresent, it seems like it has been there forever.

I found myself wondering when it would end. How could I keep moving forward? Then, I remembered. The wall never lasts forever.

Big or small, the wall never goes on forever. There is always a finish line and an opportunity to start again.

On the other side of the wall is hope. On the other side, there is optimism.  The other side of the wall is where the best version of you lies.

I run because the wall doesn't last forever.

No comments: