Thursday, September 18, 2014

I run because I am on fire...

I could tell something was different as soon as I walked out the door. I was breathing easier. There was a bounce in my step.

I tightened my laces. I shook out the kinks. I exhaled. I clicked my watch and the game was afoot.

It only took a few strides for me to feel it. I glided across the ground barely making contact. I was rolling.

Running was far from a chore today. It was what I was born to do today. My legs turned over unconsciously, effortlessly.

I smiled with the knowledge that this was a special day. I could go as far and as fast as I wanted. This run was mine.

Had I slept particularly well last night? Did I eat something special?  Was there a mysterious PED circulating in my bloodstream I had inadvertently ingested?

Maybe it was all of the above. Whatever the reason(s), I wasn't looking a gift horse in the mouth. I would simply run like one.

Everything was a blur as I flew by. Trees and bushes blended together as my strides turned into miles. The paved road faded and segued into a dirt trail.

Clouds of dirt and dust kicked up as I glided uphill. Lizards and beetles scattered in my wake. I'd leave the final destination to my legs. They seemed to know best.

The ascent continued. I was nonplussed. Everything was clicking. I was just getting warmed up.

Hundreds of feet I climbed. The world below grew smaller and smaller. My wheels turned over faster and faster.

I shifted into a higher gear. Sweat poured down providing a subtle reminder that while I felt unstoppable today, I was still at least vaguely human. Although, I felt far from human.

The hills kept coming. So, did I. Hundreds of feet turned into thousands. I touched the clouds and ran through the fog pouring over the hill.

The crest approached and I floored it. My legs seemed to have a mind of their own. They spun furiously with the knowledge that I could handle anything today.

I paused briefly at the crest. Looming ahead was yet another mountain to climb. There was no debate.

I shook out the kinks. I exhaled. I rolled on.

I run because I am on fire.....




No comments: