Wednesday, October 08, 2014

I run because I am Marathon Matt....

Having adopted the moniker 'Marathon Matt', you might think I run all the time. You might think my thirst for the sport is unquenchable. You might be wrong.

Even on a good day, it's unusual for me to run more than a couple hours. This is a far cry from the 24 hours some people think I spend running on a daily basis. 

There are days when I feel like I can barely walk, let alone run. Sometimes it's a mental thing. Other times, the body just doesn't feel happy.

I have to dig deep to find the motivation to get out and log a few miles. I know I'm not in exclusive company, but 'Marathon Matt' should never lack for motivation to run. Yet, I do.

I am just Matt sometimes. Matt is mortal. He's imperfect.

I aspire to live up to the moniker I've adopted, but I fall short sometimes. I don't always feel like it's who I am. At these times when I feel like a fraud, I do the only thing I know how to do.

I bluff. I throw on my poker face, my hat, shirt, arm warmers, shorts, and sunglasses. I might as well dress the part.

I take a deep breath and imagine I am Marathon Matt. What would Marathon Matt do? The answer comes slowly.

He would show up and run. He'd shake off the funk. He would find a way.

Marathon Matt would grit his teeth and get the job down. Doubts and fears would be cast aside. The legs would turn over and miles would pass.

As I reluctantly open the door, I visualize him gliding over road and trail. He's undaunted. I see him pushing forward despite the absence of running mojo. 

Sweat pours down his face as he grinds his way up a stout hill. He reminds himself that it's just a developmental opportunity. 

The rain pours down, but he doesn't stop. The wind howls, but he doesn't fold. He smiles when presented with these new developmental opportunities.

Fatigue creeps in. He continues. The wheels slow a bit. He continues.

Through it all, Marathon Matt doesn't stop. He doesn't capitulate. He keeps moving forward.

I head outside. I take a few steps. Then, I run a few. A mile passes.

It's not my best day. But, I'm running. It's what Marathon Matt would do.

I run because I am Marathon Matt...





No comments: